Poor Play Means More Support

Filed under: All |

Screen Shot 2014-10-23 at 6.21.17 PM

Watching the football games of the National Football League (NFL) is great way to past time; however, people do not always watch football to watch their team to do well. More than likely, people will watch games because of how poorly their local team plays. I conducted a survey to prove this theory people will watch more football to support their local team only when they are doing poorly. To help prove this theory I surveyed 71 people, 36 males and 35 females, and asked if they watched their local team’s— Buffalo Bills—game during week 5 of the NFL (October 3rd to October 5th). I then compared these results with whether or not the Buffalo Bills won the week prior. Roughly 70% of the males who were surveyed answered yes while the roughly remaining 30% of the males surveyed answered no. In contrast, 40% of the females surveyed answered yes while the remaining 60% of the females surveyed answered no. Overall, roughly 56% of the total people surveyed answered yes while roughly 45% of the total people surveyed answered no. These results where then compared to the performance of the Buffalo Bills during week 4 (September 26th to September 28th). During week 4, the Buffalo Bills lost to the Houston Texans losing 17 points to 23 points thus proving my theory. People will watch more football in order to support their local team only when they are doing poorly.

By Kenneth Williams ’15

Share This Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *